Gender Identity Issues in Children and Adolescents
Gender dysphoria (GD) of childhood describes a psychological condition in which children experience a marked incongruence between their experienced gender and the gender associated with their biological sex. When this occurs in the pre-pubertal child, GD resolves in the vast majority of patients by late adolescence. Currently there is a vigorous debate among physicians, therapists, and academics regarding what is fast becoming the new treatment standard for GD in children. This new paradigm is rooted in the assumption that GD is innate, but a review of the current literature suggests that this claim is founded upon an unscientific gender ideology and lacks an evidence base. The following resources are presented to clarify this matter.
Gender Ideology Harms Children. Press Release January 2017
Spanish version: La ideología de género perjudican a los niños
Gender Dysphoria in Children. Position Statement by the College (Fully referenced)
Spanish version: La disforia de género en menores de edad
Gender Dysphoria in Children. Summary points from Position Statement
Spanish version: Disforia de género en menores: Resumen de puntos importantes
Gender Dysphoria in Children: Science, Medical Ethics & Controversy – Power Point presentation
Ethics and Transgender Children:
- A Medical Response to Obama’s guidance to schools
- The conversation in this interview at Bioethikos deals with the controversial topic of transgender children, and how to address this issue from a scientific and compassionate perspective.
- Biology isn’t Bigotry Panel Discussion
- Bipartisan Critical Commentary re: Gender Ideology
- The Trendiness of Transgenderism is Driving Teens Toward It. Commentary from the New American