Finding a way to keep children entertained during the holidays can be tough. We might want children to watch television so we can get to cooking or get other things done around the house. However, instead of keeping kids up in front of the television we can plan activities for the children.
Some ways to reduce screen time and get children up:
- Set Screen time Limits and be an example.
- Focus on family time during the meals and keep the television off. (Research shows that families who eat together tend to eat more nutritious meals)
- Get outside and do activities such as sledding, ice skating, snowboarding. Or just play in the snow and build an igloo or snowman.
- Spend time with family. This could include playing with siblings or cousins when visiting extended family. Playing a board game is another great way for kids to stay active and not be in front of the television. Another idea is to dance to the radio. Have a talent show for the family and include singing, dancing, or playing an instrument.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen, or another organization during the holidays.
- Decorate the house together.
- Go to the library and get books for children to read about the holiday.
- Work on Art Projects. Examples from my childhood are colored Styrofoam. shaped like trees and snowflakes with markers. You could also find ideas on Pinterest.
- Find a new recipe or decorate cookies.
For more information:
Image source: http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Family-Holiday-Traditions-Start-39202460