The Family Table
Research has revealed many benefits for family members (parents and children) who eat meals together on a regular basis. These benefits include healthier eating habits, less obesity, better family communication, fewer behavioral problems, less television watching, less stress, better school performance, and a lower risk of substance abuse. The following suggestions will help you create a healthy family table in your home.
- Eat together as a FAMILY whenever you can, but at least one meal a day.
- Designate a LOCATION for eating meals. The kitchen table is a great gathering place..
- Serve a healthful VARIETY of foods. Avoid short-order cooking.
- TURN OFF the TV and all personal electronic devices (cell phone, tablet).
- Encourage PLEASANT and respectful conversation and discussion of issues.
- Require that EVERYONE STAYS at the table until everyone has finished eating and sharing.
- ENJOY the moment; don’t rush the meal.
For more information, read our statement on the Benefits of the Family Table.
For practical information, read our parent handout on How to Have a Healthy Family Table.
Contact the office to purchase copies of this poster.