Sexual activity can have significant short-term and long-term consequences in the life of a young child or adolescent. For this reason, the American College of Pediatricians has produced the following official position statements on sexuality issues involving children and adolescents.
The College addresses many issues related to sexual activity during adolescence in the Sexual Responsibility section.
Parents often feel ill-equipped to address the topic of human sexuality with their children. Hesitation in addressing this area can lead to confusion and misdirection for the child. The following resources will help assist any parent to confidently inform their child.
- Find a Therapist
- Sexuality and Gender Issues
- Sexual Risk Avoidance Education
- Facts About Youth is a web resource designed to give educators, parents and students important science-based information about healthful approaches to youth who may be conflicted about gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Medical Institute for Sexual Health is an informative website intended to empower safe, healthy living by communicating objective and scientific sexual health information.
- Passport to Purity is a helpful workbook/CD tool to enable parents to address the topic of sexuality with their young teen.
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education: The War on Children (video by Family Watch International – 35 minutes)
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education: The War on Children (video by Family Watch International – 10 minutes – abbreviated)